Subscribe to our newsletter and stay updated!

Ensure your
soft landing
in The Hague

Moving to The Hague

If you plan to stay in The Netherlands for more than four months, you need to register at the town hall in the municipality of The Hague. To be able to register, you have to have a home address. You are registered in the Basisregistratie Personen (BRP or Municipal Personal Records Database). This is used by the (local) government for various tasks, such as offering you information you need to know or to allocate the right municipal taxes.

The Hague International Centre: for your soft landing

The Hague International Centre (THIC) is the Expat Desk for international staff and their families. THIC jumps into action for international organizations, companies and institutions that move to or are already located in Delft, The Hague, Leidschendam-Voorburg, Rijswijk and Wassenaar. Through THIC and upon arrival, the newcomers are guided through the paper works and permits needed to live in The Netherlands. Think for example off advice on how to obtain a citizen service number (BSN) or a residence permit. The professional Dutch staff and the international volunteers of THIC are keen on giving you a warm welcome in The Hague. For more information, go to The Hague International Centre.


Receiving you BSN Number

One of the most important reasons to register is that you will then receive your BSN number (Personal Public Service Number). You will be asked for this in The Netherlands on various and inevitable occasions such as opening a bank account, visiting a doctor or hospital, getting health insurance of applying for social benefits. 

When to register and what to take with you

Most municipalities require you to register within five days of arriving in the Netherlands. If you don’t have a fixed address on your arrival, you should register as soon as your rental contract is finalised. 
In order to register, you need to bring with you: 

  • Your valid passport or ID card (not a driving license);
  • Your residence permit (if applicable) either a sticker in your passport, a plastic ID card or letter from IND); 
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate;
  • Your foreign marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnership or divorce (if applicable). 
  • Some documents, such as birth certificate, may also require proof of authencity (Dutch: ‘legalisatie’) such as an apostille, which you will need to get before leaving your home country. 

Check for more information IamExpat.


Only in Dutch, English, French or German

Please note that town halls only accept the official documents in Dutch, English, French or German. You need to get an official translation for other languages.

David Frielink
Back Office Manager